Sunday, November 24, 2013

"Under the Sea"

Last week we had the privilege of being treated to a cruise by my parents.  This was a joint birthday/Christmas present for Brian and I from last year that we have had booked since last February!  Brian and I cruised for our honeymoon and really couldn't wait to go on another.  We made it a goal to cruise once a year each year we lived in Florida...and 3 1/2 years later we finally got on a boat.  Originally, it was going to be a treat just for the two of us, and my folks were going to fly down to stay with Carly.  After some thought, though, we decided it would be just as much if not more fun for them to come along!  My parents became the primary care givers of our child and much to my surprise that was completely fine with her!  For five days she stayed in their room and spent nearly every second with one of them so that Brian and I could have some couple time.  I was reluctant to give up control but once I did it truly became a relaxing vacation!  In fact, the first night as they headed to bed I sat Carly on my lap and with a few tears in my eyes (this was going to be our first night ever a part even though she was just down the hall) I explained to her that she was going to sleep in Nana & Bapa's room and asked her if that was okay.  She must have felt my tension because she looked up at me and in the sweetest reassuring tone said, "happy happy, mommy...Nana, Bapa happy happy." She was telling me not to worry and that she'd be fine!  We couldn't believe she was able to communicate those feelings with me...but it certainly calmed my nerves.  Off they went and much to my surprise everything went flawlessly with bedtime. ;)

Brian and I really enjoyed the set-up.  We had our own room down the hall from my folks & Carly, didn't have to worry about her getting dressed, fed, napped or put to sleep and didn't have to chase her all over a boat...but yet got to give her hugs and kisses everyday and experience her first foreign country with her.  Best of all, we didn't have to say goodbye to her for five days...which I just couldn't have handled yet at this point in my motherhood journey.  We also had some really nice quality time with my folks and made some lasting memories.  I can't thank my parents enough for taking us on this trip and being so sacrificial just so Brian and I could have a vacation.  They just kept saying, "it's the calm before the storm...the calm before the storm for you guys." ;) My sweet parents must have walked miles and miles trying to keep up with Miss C on the boat.  She had a million favorite things to do and was highly stimulated for 5 days straight.  One afternoon my Mom and I were with Carly and a lady stopped us and said, "I think I saw that little girl riding the elevators up and down with a very tall man early this morning."  Indeed, she was correct.  My Dad and Carly spent nearly an hour at 6am one morning riding the glass elevator up and down from deck 2 to deck 13 and back. :)  Besides being at her becking call, they graciously chose to be cooped up in their tiny cabin for 2 hours each afternoon so Carly could nap, and hit the hay each night around 9pm so she could go to sleep.  Brian & I took Carly for a few hours one evening so they could have dinner and see one of the shows...but other than that I don't think either of them got a minute of free time.  Nevertheless, I think they enjoyed every second with her and she couldn't get enough of them.  She was so spoiled by the end of the trip I told them they could just keep her. ;) 

We had the first evening and 2 full days at sea, as well as a day in Belize & a day in Cozumel, Mexico.  I am going to write about those experiences separately and dedicate this post just to a recap of the time on the boat.  The first day at sea happened to be Brian's 26th birthday!  We rose early that morning and went to a DreamWorks character breakfast in the main hall.  Anyone who knows Carly knows she ADORES characters, so the breakfast was extremely entertaining.  She kept clapping, dancing and smiling while shouting "happy happy!" that the wait staff started calling her "happy, happy."  We'd be walking the boat and hear, "happy, happy, how are you doing today!?"  They also had a character breakfast the last day at sea, so here are the photos from both of those experiences:


Gangnam style with Shrek

Where's Carly?



Embarrassing Brian on his Bday






We all hit the sports deck for some mini golf, basketball and rock climbing.  I'm SO bummed I didn't have my camera with me, but Brian & my Mom did in fact rock climb.  Brian & my Dad then took part in a golf competition they were having for longest shot off the tee in a golf simulator.  Much to everyone's surprise, my Dad came out with a second place medal!  We couldn't believe he beat Brian!

Next up was some time at the pool.  This ship was incredibly kid-friendly and had this nice water splash area for young kids.  Next to the pool was a soft-serve ice cream station...so you can imagine this deck was Carly's favorite.  I think her and Bapa had more ice cream cones throughout the week than they admitted.


Carly's other favorite spot was the promenade located in the middle of the ship on deck 5.  It had shopping stores, wine bars, a cafe and a pizza parlor.  AND...it had a silver dog statue who she became VERY close to.  She could find that dog from just about anywhere on the ship!  We spent a lot of time in the cafe and the pizza parlor, and if we were separated that was our typical meeting place since it was likely Carly had gone to see her puppy.





That afternoon we also got to see an ice show (the entertainment choices on the ship were absolutely fantastic!...I mean really, who decides to have an ice arena on a boat?) and afterwards headed to the formal dinner.  Carly got to display this beautiful dress and boy did she know she looked beautiful.  At one point she walked herself down the promenade saying "hi" and waving to everyone passing by.  After that night she was known by name by way too many of the other passengers on the ship. 







After dinner we parted ways and Brian and I were able to catch a comedian and took a lovely stroll around the top deck while looking out at the sea before heading to our room to find wine, crackers & cheese had been delivered in celebration of his birthday.

Each day we had breakfast and dinner as a family, but often parted ways in the afternoon.  Carly didn't love sitting down each night for an hour and a half dinner, but we took turns walking her around outside the dining hall.  There were ample amounts of entertainment, on board programs and food.  We enjoyed taking part in all of it! The last day at sea was stormy, so we didn't have as much time outdoors, and all took a long nap in the afternoon to recover from a very full trip.  We hit the sports deck, played some mini golf, Brian & my Dad did another golf simulator competition (closest to the tee...this time Brian won a medal), ate more food and spent time eating.  Carly & I both really enjoyed the rocking of the ship, and during the night the waves were so great they were splashing up against our window!  I truly felt like I was under the sea!  There is something incredibly romantic and relaxing to me about being on a big ship.  My opinion is it's the perfect all around vacation, and I would highly recommend it!  Brian and I cant wait to go again...we shall see how long it is before we get the chance! Here are just a few more photos of our ship and dinner from our last day at sea:





Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment