Sunday, April 14, 2013

"I Wana Talk About Me"

A big grin covers my face whenever I hear this country song by Toby Keith.  It came out in 2001 when Tiffany was 6 years old.  By that point, I had fully introduced my family to modern country music, and my Dad took a liking to this song.  He thought it was hysterical, being the profession he's in.  Anyway, Tiff made up a really silly dance to it and watching that cute little 6-year-old shake her little body to this silly song had us laughing to the point of tears.

But the song also works for this post, as recently we've had quite a few exciting things happen at work so I thought I'd take the time to share a sneak peak into why I love my job so much.

First up are a few pictures from our Team Day we had before I went on vacation.  This was a very special team day to thank us for blowing our budget for FY Quarter 1 out of the water, for some team building and for continual learning.  Disney prides itself (among a million other things) on taking time and money to continue to train and inspire the Cast with hopes of obtaining great Guest Service.  Guest Service as been proven, over and over, to drive revenue, which in turn pleases our shareholders and creates jobs.  In fact, we will be creating hundreds of jobs at Downtown Disney over the next three years as we transition in Disney Springs.  So, one thing that many of us on the team had not done at WDW yet was the Wild Africa Trek.  This is walking safari through the same savanna that the trucks go through at Animal Kingdom. It comes with a fairly lofty price tag, so it was something Brian & I figured we would never do.  It was such a blast to be with the 7 other members of my leadership team, as they are fun people to be around!  It was also very informative!

My favorite animal is a Giraffe, and we got a good shot of me by one of the pregnant mamas.  She will be birthing her little baby this summer!


I also loved learning about the hippos.  They are fascinating creaters and incredibly large.



The crocodiles are not as interesting, but it was fun to walk on a creaky bridge right over their heads!  I was bouncing all the way across. 




Here is my team, probably the youngest team on property with all of us being in our 20s and 30s.  The last team I was on were mostly in their 40s and 50s!  The team dynamics are incredibly different.  I really, really enjoy them, one of the biggest reasons I love my job!


We also had an African-inspired meal in a hut on the savanna.  I'll have to point it out to you the next time you visit us (for those of you that do).



It was a fabulous day and adventure and probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

A few weeks ago we released a new make-up line called, Beautifully Disney.  It features 4 princesses and their corresponding villains in eye colors, lip color, nail polish and cosmetic accessories.  My peer, Alana, and I, along with partners from other lines of business (Location Planning, Product Development, Merchandise Events Team, Merchandise Presentation, Entertainment & Cosmetology), were in charge of launching this new make-up line in my shop, Tren-D.  To help you better understand my role: I am a Zone 1 manager responsible for the Operational, Cast and Guest needs for 5 locations within an area at Downtown Disney.  Each member of my team has a specialty store, however, that we are the point person for all decisions, events, etc.  My shop is called Tren-D, which is a fashion forward eclectic boutique with a variety of Disney and branded merchandise along with multiple designer bags and other accessories.  I have a lengthy list of responsibilities I shall not name at this time, but one of the largest is driving the service level in my shop (hence why we are called Retail Guest Service Managers).


At any rate, the event was a HUGE success, pleasing partners from all around the company and introducing a new product to our Guests that they have been very satisfied with! Alana, Jeff (our boss) & I arrived very early the morning of the event to help Merchandise Presentation prepare and get our Cast fired up about the launch.  Jeff brought in Orange Juice and poured it into champagne glasses and we all toasted a fabulous event.  Here is us with the entire zone morning Cast and with our Tren-D only Cast.  Tren-D also has a Fashionista named Isabella who is from the Entertainment line of business who also attends these events.  She is FABULOUS and helps drive whatever product we are featuring.  What great fun!!!



These Cast Members pictured above, along with my supportive and fun team and driven and encouraging boss are the primary reason I love what I do.  I always get told I look beautiful at work (which is so helpful for a girl who feels so overweight), I get asked how I'm doing, get asked how Carly is doing and get more hugs than one could ask for.  My Cast are delightful and care about the people they work with.  We come from literally all over the world but share a passion for delivering quality service for a company who defined the world of tourism & hospitality.  Them and the magic I get to create everyday makes for a career I could not have envisioned when I was thinking about what I wanted to do post-college.  What a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment