Sunday, October 13, 2013

"Making Melodies in My Heart"

It all started about a month ago at this point.  Our nanny who comes to the house to spend time with Carly twice/week was taking vacation, and I was too lazy to find a replacement.  So...I looked up flights to Iowa for that weekend and they happened to be the under $200 round trip...which I don't believe we've seen before!  I called up my papa and said if he footed the bill I'd bring his granddaughter to Iowa to see him.  He didn't have to think about that for long!  We had plans to fly out of St. Petersburg airport; which used to only be an hour from our home...but is now pushing an hour and 45 minutes...so Brian had the brilliant idea of driving over the day before and spending a day and night on the beach!  We found a great resort that happened to be a Hilton (some of the beach front resorts are pretty run down) AND we got a Cast discount!  We are so, SO glad we went down the day before.  Not only did it allow us to be real close to the airport (although due to unexpected traffic I actually checked into my flight only 35 minutes before take off!!) but we also made some delightful memories!  It had been nearly 5 months since Carly's first beach experience, and she loved this trip even more than the last one!  Other than an afternoon nap, we were on the beach from 11am-7pm!!  The girl just couldn't get enough of the white sand between her toes, chasing after the "ducks", swimming in the waves, digging with her shovel, knocking over sand castles and the bright, hot sun.  October 2nd and it was 91 degrees that day!








Carly was so obedient on the flight to Iowa.  It's simply amazing how much her cognitive ability changes on a monthly basis.  Our flight to Iowa in July was just dreadful...but this time it was totally fine.  I sat her on my lap, explained my expectations and she stayed in her seat the whole time.  She played on the iPod, we read books, ate snacks, looked out the window and played lots of peek-a-boo with the neighbors in front, behind and next to us. :)

We arrived before 10am Thursday morning and were greeted by my mother.  Each time we see Carly's grandparents, she warms up quicker and quicker...but this was the first time she didn't need to warm up at all. She knew who Nana was and ran right to her.  19 months.  That's how long it took my child who lives across the country from her grandparents to know them without reservation.  We scurried up to Ames and played for a while before welcoming Bapa home from work.  We got some great tailgating in due to a Thursday night ISU football game, and watched the game with my folks that evening.

Carley & her niece, Skylar with Carly & I

Friday morning we welcomed Lindsay and her boys, Eli & Micah.  The weather was gorgeous that weekend so Carly wanted only to be outdoors!  The kiddos enjoyed playing in the mud and eating rocks until we finally said, enough!  We essentially played outside all day long, and I got a great run in.  I probably ran a longer distance than I do in Florida and yet it was much, much easier!  A cool breeze and 70 degree weather is perfect running conditions!!  Mom & I drove to Mason City to pick up Tiff that night and for the first time in over a year someone other than Brian or myself put Carly to bed.  I was rather nervous...thinking there was a chance she would still be up when we got home at 11pm...but Bapa said everything went just fine!  I'm glad to know that she will likely do just fine next month when she will be staying with my parents on a cruise!




Saturday morning I took Carly to see Brian's folks while I caught up on some girlfriend time.  I think they spent most of the morning outdoors playing on the swing and in the flowers.  Carly does love flowers!  I got to go for a walk with Carley H. on Central Campus & Renee at the Downtown Farmer's Market.  It was again, very nice outside!


Saturday evening was spent with Tiff.  I was excited that Carly knew her name without prompting!  She took one look at her and said, "Tiff!"  it was slightly chilly that evening but we braved walking a half mile to El Azteca anyway. :)


Selfie? ;)



Hiding in the closet during a game of Hide-and-Seek

 Sunday we went to church and then headed to Pleasant Hill to spend the day with my Grandma before flying out at 6pm that evening.  It was in the 50's that day and a bit rainy...so leaving wasn't so hard. ;)  Mimi got Carly some special mini M&Ms and they were immediately best friends.  I also got this great shot of Carly & my Dad overlooking Grandma's farm in the fall season.








The flight back to Florida was not so great...and I completely blame that on her grandparents! ;)  She is so loved on and there are zero limits set on her when she's with them...so she naturally was in no mood to obey me on the plane.  It does make me laugh...because I know how valuable getting treated like a princess is for a little one.  She refused to snooze on the plane, despite being well past her bedtime, but was out after 90 seconds of being in the car.  She saw Brian in the airport lobby and yelled his name at the top of her lungs.  She was VERY excited to see him.  A great ending to a very fun, spontaneous and short trip! (And if you're wondering...Brian played 36 holes of golf, ate out and played his xbox when he wasn't working...so he coped with his ladies being gone just fine).

No comments:

Post a Comment