Sunday, January 11, 2015

"Christmas In Iowa"

This is Christmas festivities update part 2...eleven days into the new year!  As mentioned in my last Christmas post, we had been in Christmas spirit for a while before the celebrations actually happened; but there is something special about being "home" for the holidays...and particularly in the great state of Iowa.  During our 9-day stay in the {over-cast state} (sorry...pun intended), we were delighted to celebrate Christmas with both of our immediate families and my extended family.  Had we just been there one day more we would have also been able to see Brian's extended family.  Someday, maybe!  Upon arriving back to Florida we had our own Christmas celebration and did a few more things in the parks.  Here's the scoop:

Weiss Family Christmas
How fun to all be in the same place...and celebrating a holiday together! This hasn't happened since 4th of July 2013!  This year we have added a Weiss wife & two baby boys to the family rounding us out to an even 6 ladies and 6 gents in the group!  The day began when Aaron, Kel & Cora arrived at Grandpa & Grandma's house at nearly 10am (you guys seriously rock)!  Although our daughter gets a bit overwhelmed at large social functions; she knew she was excited to see her only immediate girl cousin!  They got right to playing "downstrrs" and did so for the next few days.  Shortly thereafter our first nephew arrived with his parents and we were "fighting" over who got to hold him first (and calling dibs before Grandma got her hands on him). ;)  Rhonda makes a delicious meal and truly values her family sitting around her dining room table. Before lunch we got a family picture and then snapped a few more during present opening.  We played with our new toys, watched a Cyclone win on TV and enjoyed snacks and cookies all evening long!








Stubbs Extended Family Christmas
The next day was Christmas at Grandma/Mimi's house!  This has probably been my most anticipated day of the year nearly my entire life.  Some of my greatest memories come from my Grandpa & Grandma's home.  Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, food & presents galore.  This year was the first in 5 years (no thanks to us) that all 32 of us were able to celebrate Christmas together.  I just know my Grandma worked for weeks preparing food and a Christmas program.  I am salivating just thinking about the prime rib we ate that day.  Mmmmmm.  There are 9 cousins, 3 of which are married.  The Hood's have 5 kids, the Vanderploeg's have 3 kids & we have 2; ten in total & 5 of them 2 and under.  You can imagine the day was blissful chaos.  We were the first to arrive and Carly was immediately drawn to my Grandma's display of hand made children; one to represent each grandchild.  This picture is special to me because I also was fascinated with these dolls each year.


Before lunch I also snagged my family for some quick Christmas pictures & the cousins posed for one, too.



After lunch we played for a while before the great-grand kids put on a delightful Christmas program. Mimi had the narration written out and directed the sweet angels, lambs and Mary & Joseph.  Luke loved ringing his bell!



Each great-grand child also received one special gift from Mimi (the adults did; too, but this year we took them home rather than opening there...can you believe she shopped for all of us?!) which she had pre-opened and put together! They were wrapped in big boxes or had blankets hung over them. Each little one unveiled their gift and they all got right to playing! Carly commented a few days later that Mimi had lots of toys at her house.  She didn't realize they were all presents and will be thrilled when her Frozen blow-up ball pit arrives in her own living room! ;)




I love this picture.

The day quickly drew to a close and I snapped one final picture of my sweet Grandma with my two kids before packing them up and heading to Ames.  Thanks, Grandma, for being such a wonderful host!


Stubbs Family Christmas
Christ Eve Morning our family of 5 plus my two kids (since Brian had gone back to Florida at this point) had another Christmas celebration where we exchanged gifts. Our family tradition growing up was to open our stockings, eat a fancy breakfast and proceed by opening our presents one by one.  Sometimes it would take hours to open gifts which filled the day with lots of conversation.  When I was little I just couldn't wait for it to be my turn again but of course as an adult I love seeing what everyone else is opening, too!





After gifts it was packing and flying for us!  We were so thankful for such a blessed trip to Iowa and also ready to be home.  The flight was good but Luke threw up all over his car seat on the drive home. I'm so glad he didn't do that on the plane!



Establishing Traditions of Our Own
Christmas Day was so chill--we staying inside all day long (until I left for work, anyway) and did lots of cleaning and lounging! Carly was essentially done opening presents after so many celebrations so we actually ended up putting three of them back in the closet and she will get them for her birthday or a rainy day.  We did enjoy having waffles with berries and whipped cream, coffee and egg nog in the morning and since we weren't together on Christmas Eve took part in our annual soup and home made bread meal for dinner.  The day was nice and sweet. :)

I actually think his photo is really sweet. It shows how authentically tired I was after a solo flight only to come home and be up with my sick baby much of the night. ;)




Candlelight Processional
One final Christmas memory was a few days later when we saw Steven Curtis Chapman (my favorite Christian artist of all time) as the narrator at one of the final shows of Candlelight Processional. In order to get a seat at the show these days one must stand in line about an hour so Brian went to EPCOT after work and kids and I joined him just minutes before the show.  I really love the music in it and appreciate that scripture is read.  We take a photo by this tree after watching the show every year. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment