Sunday, May 26, 2013

"Sunshine & Summertime"

Ahh...the sweet sound of those words.  I stepped out before 9am this week for a run and said out loud to Carly, "holy hot humidity!!"  I saw a statistic this week that said we won't see the 60's again until October 6th!  Yikes!  We are in it for the long hall.  All my friends up North are rejoicing that the summer has sprung and here in Florida we just endure through til Christmas. ;)  But really, the sunshine is great and there are plenty of opportunities to get wet in Florida, so it's really not so bad.

My little girl's blonde curls are growing like weeds and tempt me daily to do something fun with them.  My little girl who those locks are attached to, however, doesn't enjoy mama pulling at her hair.  Anytime I'm going to put hair ties in those curly-q's, you can bet there will be tears.  I just keep telling her beauty is pain...and doesn't she look beautiful!?


This dress is one of my favs at the moment, although she has about 6 that I just adore.  I don't usually allow her to be in them for long for fear of stains, but I enjoy looking at her while they are on, none the less.  This particular day I thought we would get all dressed up so I could take some photos of her at Animal Kingdom. It didn't really work.  She isn't so interested in posing for photos and she totally sees through me trying to make her smile.  We did, however, have a really nice time at DAK.  We let her burn a ton of energy off while enjoying the sights of the animals on the trails.  Her favorites were the Tigers, the fish & the Gorillas.  Here's my best attempt at catching some cute photos of her right outside the Tiger's domain.





After leaving the Asian trail, we headed to Africa!  She was having a meltdown when all of a sudden we came to the fish and all was good again.  She was so fascinated!!



We marched onto the Gorillas and saw the best show we've ever seen!  They were all out and about...staring us down, running through the grass and even teasing one another.  Fun sights to see...even though I don't particularly like animal captivity. ;)



Last week we also hit up the golf course with Daddy.  Since it is summertime, officially, that means the golf prices are low, low, low.  Brian played 18 holes for like $13.99...and we joined him for the back nine.  Carly was hilarious!  We thought it would be fun to tag along with Daddy...and it was for us...;)!  Brian was so frustrated I laughed to the point of tears.  He was playing great until we got there and then lost 5 balls once we arrived.  That sets a new record for him!  He now claims he needs more golf balls.  What...can't focus when someone screams during your back swing!  LOL!




Not a complete day in Florida without seeing a gator...

The other fun activity this week was a trip to the Grand Floridian to meet Brenna and her growing belly!  We are very excited to meet Adelaide shortly after our return from Iowa.  We had lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe, where Carly enjoyed my Cobb Salad and her yellow princess balloon.


We intended to let her play in the pool and walk the path to the Polynesian for some Dole Whip, but the rain kept us inside.  Turns out that was quite alright as Carly LOVED crawling up and down the staircases.  She really did this for hours.


She also added to the entertainment in the lobby.  As she ran toward the grand piano, I quickly pulled her back only to be gently told by the pianist that she was more than welcome to play a duet with him.  I LOVE DISNEY!  No where else would that have been a positive experience.  We would have had to leave to take away the temptation, but instead she played and then danced, played and then danced. :)


The completion of our week was a trip to the doctor's office and a long and tired week for me.  I had two closes followed by an open...which meant I had 7 hours in between my shifts.  When you add travel time and getting ready time to that it doesn't allow for much sleep.  Even after 8 hours last night I still had to take a nap with her this morning.  At any rate, I made it through...but one of the leaders on our team recently got a promotion, so I have to cover his closing shifts every week until we come to Iowa.  Back to closing will be tough for this mama (for many reasons!).  

Carly's appointment went well and we really love our new female doctor.  She's a Christian and has done much overseas medical work with her husband, so that's a major blessing to become her patients by default!  I haven't been doing near the reading as I did when Carly was a baby...so it was good to hear her talk about Carly's development with us.  She discussed how the two best things for brain development in young toddlers is reading, reading, reading and ample amounts of dairy fat.  That's why we give our toddlers whole milk!  So...it's a good thing I'm still nursing and she encouraged us to get her to like whole milk before weaning.  She also said yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc., are great substitutions and to not hold back on the (good) fat!  I didn't know that...so as soon as we left the doctors office we headed to the store for some chocolate whole milk.  She will take a few sips but doesn't love it.  At least she's not spitting it across the room!  It is heavenly, though...I've been stealing some gulps here and there and just love it!  Chocolate whole milk..what's not to like?!  The reading thing was good news, as Carly has been SO into books the past month we can't keep them away from her.  We read at least 3 times/day for anywhere from 15-45 minutes!! That sometimes equals over 20 books at once! She wants them in the car, she wants to carry them around the house, she wants to read alone and she wants to be read to.  She likes baby board books with lots of colors but also enjoys books with a story...although too many words and she'll shut the book on your fingers! 

And her stats continue on the predictable curve they are suppose to.  Her 12 month measurements were off, though, and she just reached 30 inches and 21 pounds, which puts her in the 27th percentile for weight and the 60th for height.  Makes much more sense.  We were warned that both her growth and her eating habits will drastically slow the next few months, and she gave us some light reading on how to combat a picky eater.  The article also talked about how toddlers are cluster feeders, so just keep feeding until she is full and if the next day she barely eats anything at all not to worry.  She reminded us that they are excellent at listening to their bodies and if we all ate on the cues of our bodies like toddlers do that we would be much healthier.  Fun info if you ask me!  I need to take up reading again soon...but it seems all my time is taken up by playing and when Carly's sleeping, I'm usually blogging. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment