Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"I Go Back"

I found this post in my draft box from MAY.  I'm sure I meant to post it and got caught up in moving without pushing "publish."  This girl changes so rapidly this is obviously out of date, but there are some cute pictures and cute stories in here....too much writing to let go to waste.  Take yourselves back two months...

I have just a few stories to share from the past week.
  • Carly continues to exert her will and refuses to be fed.  Meal time can be very messy, but I think letting her be independent is worth it.  She is a pretty good eater, which is very nice, but can also exercise some major picky-ness.  She will love something one day, and refuse it the next...so it's kind of a game.  She rotates between green beans, broc and peas as her greens, and eats lots and lots of cheese.  She will eat a little bit of chicken and beans, but only a little bit.  The only food she consistently wants, besides cheese, are eggs.  I'm glad she enjoys something full of protein.  She loves chocolate and sweets and white breads.  The exact thing that has contributed to America's obesity.  She doesn't really care for fruits, but I also haven't been offering them as much (she now loves fruits...I took full advantage of them being in season this summer!).  They are about to be in season, though, so I'm excited to re-introduce some fruits.




  • This week we finally decided to turn Carly around in the car.  She now faces forward and really enjoys that!  This is her showing me how big she is in her car seat.
  • I am convinced that almost everything Carly knows is from reading.  From pointing to animals and making one of the animal noises she has learned from her books, to saying new words I know she's only learned from reading, the girl is sure soaking up life around her.  We were reading a book about shapes the other day and the last page reads, "hearts! I love you!"  She leaned over and gave her book a kiss!  Awe, that melted my heart.  I wonder how she knows kissing and I love you are related?  Just kidding...I don't wonder how she knows that. ;)
  • Carly has found herself a BEST FRIEND, and will run in place clapping when she sees Erica.  Erica is 2 months older than Carly and is the third child of the family who leads our Bible Study.  The entire family has been such a blessing to us over the past 2 months, as we are new to their group!  Carly can barely stand it when she sees us pull up to their house, and plays so well the entire time.  Elizabeth was kind enough to watch Carly last week when I got asked to come into work on my day off and she said the girls had a blast.  Carly also was happy to stay in the nursery for the first time on Sunday because Erica was in there! 
  • Carly loves her stuffed animals.  She carries them all over the house and will roll on the ground hugging the larger ones.  As I've been packing, I've realized she has more than I thought, but she loves all of them!  She has also started using her monkey as a pillow, and wants him/her to be near her face.  It's all pretty sweet.
  • This week our little family took an afternoon trip to EPCOT.  Carly was not in a very good mood, but was completely intrigued when we set foot on the Figment attraction.  I know my sister-in-law, who is a big fan, will appreciate these pictures.


  • While we were at EPCOT, we found a quite little garden in China to sit at while we drank our Oo-long tea slush.  I tried my very best to get a cute photo of Carly, but she insisted on eating her crackers instead. 


  • My favorite this about Carly right now is her ability to be agreeable.  Somehow, she has decided that nodding her head, yes, is asking for something nicely.  It's so adorable and a great form of communication.  If she is demanding something, I will say, "can you ask nicely please" to which she will usually stop screaming and nod her head in the most dramatic way.  She also answers, yes, to most of my questions, which is just lovely.  She doesn't always realize what she has just agreed to, and sometimes takes it back, but it's cute nevertheless.  She can verbally say the word, yes, but only does so when she's super excited about something.  She has no learned the word, no, but is very good at shaking her head when need be.
I need to be better about writing down the small cognitive developments Carly continues to have.  She has been adding to her vocabulary and does things on a daily basis that surprise me.  I get so caught up in documenting what I have photos of, the events that happen in our lives, that sometimes I forget to remember to write about her ever-changing self.  I suppose that's what those monthly, or now bi-monthly posts are for. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment