Monday, July 29, 2013

"On the Pontoon"

I've actually been waiting to use this title since last summer when this song by Little Big Town came out.  I thought, surely we will make it to Clear Lake again and I will get to write about the 25 years I've been going to this special place.  I have so many memories at Clear Lake I can't even begin to write about them all.  My Grandpa & Grandma have had a place there for as long as I can remember...first was a condo, then about 10 years ago they built right on the lake.  We would go up every 4th of July and stay the weekend, celebrating with the entire Stubbs side of the family.  In all honesty, my memories consist of two things: my grandparents and the boat.  Grandma used to pack us all lunch (back before there were too many of us...probably before Tiff's time) and we'd spend the entire day on the lake.  We'd watch all the adults ski, then my dad would make me get in and try, too.  I always succeeded but the water was so cold and I didn't enjoy the pressure.  We'd tube and we'd put the canopy up and just catch some rays.  Grandpa was always the captain, and frequently wore a hat that I would have to take off and comb down his hair when we got back to the condo.  I think my favorite memories of my Grandpa are at Clear Lake.  I am always reminded of him when I'm there...I think it was one of his favorite places to be.  Last week was the 4th anniversary of his death, and I sat and remembered all the times he wrestled with me, let me be his co-captain on the boat, talked to me about the importance of modesty, even when choosing a swim suit, took me out for an early breakfast, tried to dump Eric and I off the tube and pulled me skiing behind him.  Saying goodbye to Grandpa 4 years ago was the toughest goodbye I've ever experienced and I miss him dearly.  I'm thankful he was at our wedding...and I wish he could see that Carly is just like me.  Praise God for such wonderful memories!

Since we've moved to Florida, we've missed out on Clear Lake, but this year it was my goal to make it up and introduce my baby to a place that is so dear to my heart.  Brian was not able to join us, as he had to fly back to work, but it was a really nice weekend.  Carly will enjoy the lake more and more each year, but this time was a bit rough as she did not enjoy or understand why she had to wear a life jacket.  The first day there we buckled her in and took her out to the doc for a swim.  We got on the tube and captured these two photos before the tears of the third photo struck.



Poor Carly!
We swim here in Florida ALL the time...and the girl has never had to wear a life jacket, so can you really blame her for being confused?  So...we stayed off the boat and the wave runner and just went for walks on the dock every now and then.  I didn't make her wear a life jacket on the dock but only because I carried her at all times.  It's just too risky otherwise...the water is too dark and the currents are unpredictable.  Next year she will do better. :)

She had a BLAST being inside though.  There was mad chaos of family coming in and out at all times and she just loved observing it all and having a so many people to play with.  At one point we had 3 different tables of 500 going on...


She got really great quality time with Nana & Grammy the first day, and then was pretty much attached to Mimi and Papa the second day.  She enjoyed eating all the food, particularly the homemade ice cream.  I'd say ice cream is definitely her favorite food.

Patricia Ann (Grammy) & Carly Ann in their matching shirts

Haha...notice my Dad's facial expression!

I did get to spend a few hours both days with Anna, someone whose been my best friend since we were 9 or 10 years old.  Her family has a place at the lake, as well, so it was the perfect scenario for us to spend some time catching up in person.  I also have lots of lake memories with Anna from the past 15 years...including jumping off the wave runner into the lake and swimming over to her boat to announce that Brian & I were engaged...or learning how to wake board for the first time!  This time around, however, we enjoyed watching all the cousins who could go on a bumpy boat (I stayed clear for fear of hurting my littlest babe) move from tube to tube (3 is a lot to pull behind a boat at one time!) and enjoyed laying on a tube in the water. It is always, always a blessing to be in her company. :)


Tube chaos...Austin, Brandon, Damon, Trey, Tiff & Megan!
Well there you have it...a fabulous trip to Clear Lake; the first of many posts about our fun 2 week vacation to Iowa. :) 

1 comment: