Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Little Bit of Everything"

I'm not sure how to start a blog these days when I don't have something fairly important to share. ;)  Life has been so good the past month...as soon as the nausea and exhaustion disappeared I became a semi-normal human being again! I can somewhat withstand the heat and therefore spend the days outside with my munchkin, but most importantly I have plenty of energy to give to Miss C.  We've had three groups of guests stay in our home over the past month and in between have been enjoying many a days with friends!  We were so fortunate to find a mama who works part time who has a little boy three months younger than Carly across our alley way!  We have been spending time with them at least twice/week for the past 6 weeks and have become very good friends. 


Unfortunately for us, they are moving to Chicago at the end of the month!  Ugh! Stop leaving!!  This is the 5th family we've become close to over the past three years to move away.  So even though we haven't known each other long, it's still a big loss for both Carly and I.  Florida is just too transient.  I've always planned on us being transient as well, but for the first time in 3 years, I'm actually in no rush to move to back to Iowa.  Did you ever think you would hear me say that?  I don't plan to live here forever...but we are so happy there is no reason to leave yet, either.  It's amazing how much happier/busier/safer I am/feel now that we live in such a great area.  Our "quality of life" has increased and you can tell that I'm happier just by talking to me.  I'm also thrilled to be having another baby!  I have been watching videos of Carly in the first few months and looking at photos a lot...it makes me so excited!  BUT...I REALLY enjoy my time with just one child...so Luke is WELCOME to stay warm and cozy all connected to me for another 4.5 months.  But still, we're giddy with excitement.

Anyway, Mrs. Carley Hoben was here for 4 days toward the end of July.  We were very busy...hitting two parks and resort hopping one day.  She brought Carly to DTD to visit me the one day I worked while she was here which made time for Brian to get a round of golf in. He was rather happy about that.  Brian also let us have two girls' nights in a row...which was a first for me and quite a treat!  The first night he took Carly home from MK when it was bedtime and Carley and I stayed to ride some attractions, watch the electrical parade (which I haven't seen in years) and the fireworks!  The next night we escaped in the evening and had a wonderful dinner at the Rose and Crown Pub in the UK then explored the countries in EPCOT.  We were so glad to have her visit!

Next up was an unexpected visit from my cousin, Shayla!  She got a call one random Monday morning from her attorney and he said that Zola's biological mother had just delivered another baby (16 months after Zola was born) and wondered if Shayla wanted to adopt him.  A full biological sibling to her daughter!  Of course she wanted him!!  So her and Joshua jumped on a plane along with their 16-month old, Zola and 10-month old, Piper.  Joshua flew home with Piper and my Aunt flew down to help Shayla.  They didn't want to intrude (even though I invited them to stay with us on a daily basis) but by the end of three weeks Miss Zola was going crazy in a hotel, so they caved and came over.  My Aunt flew back to Iowa with Zola two days later, and Shayla was here with her new son, Ty, for a few more days before she got the clearance to go home.  Their story is an intense one and it's been neat to see God's faithfulness to them despite many trials.  He gives and takes away.  Carly LOVED baby Ty and gave him all sorts of soft attention and kisses.  I hope she still loves babies when her little brother is born!




Shayla left on a Sunday and my folks arrived late, late Thursday night!  Carly was more than thrilled to see them when she woke up Friday morning!  She saw Bapa first, and was quite hesitant, but warmed up in only 2 minutes.  When she saw Nana about an hour later she ran right to her with open arms.  I'm not sure if she just remembered my mom better or if by an hour later realized that they came as a duo.  She's been spoiled rotten and if one of them isn't giving her their undivided attention she throws a fit.  I was completely spoiled by both sides of grandparents, so I completely support it in most cases. ;)  We squeezed in quite a bit of fun while they were here, including many trips to the pool, multiple walks around the block, dinner out, a visit while I was at work, an evening trip to EPCOT and my Mom and I were able to sneak away for some shopping. 

Brian and I also got to go on a date!! We rarely date...in fact probably only 2-3 times/year, so when we get time alone it's really a treat.  I do love spending time with that man.  We stepped foot in a movie theater for the first time since August of 2010, when we were in South Dakota on a family vacation and saw, "Salt."  We were re-introduced to movie-going by seeing, "The Butler."  It was phenomenal.  I have multiple thoughts on this film, but something I realized was how sheltered I was from the effects racism had (does have) on our country from growing up in Iowa.  I was raised in the North with a small amount of diversity as a white girl, and reading about it in my history books wasn't the same as watching the KKK try to destroy a bus full of young life or seeing a white man who had just raped another man's wife shoot him in the face in the middle of a cotton field with no punishment.  There is no explanation for why so many people thought/think it's okay to treat another life with such hatred except for sin.  It just shocks me that multitudes of people bought into the idea that one race was/is greater than another.  At any rate, Brian and I both cried multiple times throughout the film and I would highly recommend it.  There was a preview for a film about Nelson Mandela that I am also interested in seeing.  I actually had the privilege of walking Mandela's childhood home when I was in South Africa about a decade ago.  After the movie we had an incredibly nice dinner at the Bonefish Cafe...a first for both of us!  Thanks, Nana, for being our daughter's play date so we could have a lovely night out!

I have been terrible about taking my camera out this summer, but here's a few pictures of my Dad chasing Carly around the house and a cute video of Carly interacting with my Mom.  I turned on the camera to film her running and instead she decided it was time for kisses.  So sweet. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment