Thursday, April 19, 2012

Adventures in Iowa!

The day before Carly turned 6 weeks old, she flew up into the sky on her very first airplane.  She loved it!  This was honestly the first time we experienced Carly's angel-like characteristics.  She ate on the way up, played with us for an hour, decided she was tired and gracefully put her head on my shoulder to go to sleep (first time that had ever happened!) and then ate on the way down and was ready to be greeted by her Grandpa and Nana when we arrived in Iowa.  We were fairly stressed going into the adventure, but we completely underestimated her mature ability. 

We had a glorious time in our homeland for ten days as we spent time with family and gallivanted around central Iowa introducing Carly to some of our favorite people.  I really should have taken a photo with each person she met, but then I would have had to buy a new camera card!  I will recap the trip briefly.

Day 1:

Carly met her cousin, Cora, her Uncle Aaron and her Aunt Kelly.  It was so precious to see the meeting of two girls who will be life-long friends.  Cora was extremely excited to hold Carly and was a natural if I do say so myself!


Carly also got to meet one of my best friends, Lindsay, her husband, Ted, and her son, Eli.  I expect Eli and Carly to be very good friends and see some family vacations in our future as Ted and Brian also enjoy each others company, especially on the golf course (they were ISU intramural golf champs at one point...lol).  I had a best guy friend growing up who was exactly 8 months older than me.  Funny thing that Eli is 8 months older than Carly!  Lindsay was the first to know we were pregnant and was there for me more than anyone else throughout my pregnancy having just been through it herself!  I will be forever grateful for her genuine care for me and my baby.





Lindsay and I enjoyed lunch together and then we spent the evening hanging out with the Weiss crew.

Day 2:

Carly's Baptism (see yesterday's post)

Day 3:

Carly's Grandma took the day off and we had fun exploring Ames with Grandma, Aaron, Kelly and Cora.  Carly had her first trip to the Flying Burrito and her first walk on the beautiful Iowa State Campus.  Why we didn't get a picture of that I just do not know!  We also introduced her to many of the women I worked with when I was working in the Office of Admissions at ISU.

We then went back to Grandpa and Grandma's house and laid under the crab apple tree in the front yard on Brian's childhood bed spread.  It was a beautiful April day in Iowa!



Uncle Nathan and Grandpa joined us for dinner and we spent time relaxing on the back porch.  Oh what a wonderful day!

Day 4:

Aaron, Kel and Cora took off, Brian and his Dad went golfing and Carly and I jumped in the car to meet friends all over Ames.  We had lunch with Mimi, and had a very fun play date with the ladies from my college Bible Study.  Carly got to meet all of their kiddos: Stacy's sons: Jacoby (2) and Kayden (1), Libby's daughter: Linley (1) and Baby #2 in tummy, Jen's son: Brayton (9 months) and Lindsey's Baby #1 in tummy.  When we take our next trip to Iowa in September hopefully we can meet both Libby and Lindsey's babes!

We went back to Grandpa and Grandma's house for dinner and as per usual, had a wonderful time.

Day 5:

Got up and headed out the door only to experience Carly's first projectile vomit!  She tossed EVERYTHING she had eaten that morning and made me fairly nervous.  She then needed food every two hours all day long! Poor thing!  That meant we were going to have a very chill day, just resting at Grandpa and Nana's house (my parents).

After some rest we decided to go visit the Loeckes, a family I have been babysitting for since 2007.  Jessica and her three kids, Eliza (7), Zachary (3) and Mae (1), are very dear to me and we see them every time we are home. Here is our best attempt at a picture (Mae had wondered off at this point)!





That evening two of the women I have known since I was very young, Shana and Allison, threw Carly and I a church shower.  It was wonderful to see so many women from church as I love E.Free very, very much. 


Day 6:

Another relaxing day.  I went for a 5 mile run/walk with Carley Hoben and left Carly to be babysat by Grandpa and Nana for the first time.  I was only gone 2 hours...but still...a big step for me!  Then we played with G&N, Uncle Trey and Aunt Tiff.




Day 7:

The day was filled with little walks...Carly just loves being outside!  Renee came over and played for a while then Lydia joined the party as well.  Later in the day Carly got to meet her Auntie Anna for the first time.


That evening we went out to Olde Main Brewing Co. with our Bible Study from when we were first married.  We always see the Brenners, Fabers and Gerbers when we are in Iowa.  We hadn't taken a group shot in at least 2 years, so here it is:


Day 8:

We woke up and headed to Altoona where I was having a family shower.  My Aunt Danielle, Cousin Megan and Aunt Sherry threw me a wonderful shower.  Brian's family, my Grandpa's side of the family and my Grandma's side of the family were all in attendance.  Very special as many of them I hadn't seen since our wedding 3 years ago!



One of the very special moments of the day was that Carly got to meet her 96-year-old, great-great-grandmother.  We took this lovely 5-generations picture.  It's very rare that someone is blessed with 5 generations living at one time.  My dad can say that he has a Grandma and a Granddaughter!


We also took a great 3-generation picture with my Mom, me and Carly!


I had a wonderful time with family and it was very special to introduce my daughter to my extended family.  I am grateful for their unconditional support!

Day 9:

Happy Easter!  Or as they say at our church in Florida: Happy Resurrection Day!  After attending the Easter service at E.Free, we hopped in the car and down to Altoona we went yet again.  Carly did great!  Actually...she was an angel during most car rides...something I am very grateful for!  She just hated them her first month of life.  Just another way she is growing cognitively everyday.  Before eating the wonderful meal prepared by my Grandma, Carly's Mimi, we took some family photos.  We haven't all been in the same room since Grandpa's funeral in 2009.  Shayla had just gotten home with her new daughter, Zola, so it was both Zola and Carly's first Easters.  What a special memory!  Here is the Stubbs family picture (Stubbs, Vanderploeg, Weiss & Hood):


And all the granddaughters...how precious that Emmie and Ella are holding the babes


The "smaller" Stubbs and Weiss family:


And finally, our little family of three. :)


We had our annual Easter egg hunt (aka...tons of candy spread all over the yard) and great fellowship.  I cried as the day came to a close, making Grandma promise she would come to Florida sometime this summer.  Living so far away is hard much of the time, but we also love our life in Florida.  God is great and incredibly faithful, and I look forward to see what He provides for us in the future. 

We headed back to Ames so Carly could say goodbye to her Grandpa and Grandma, then spent the rest of the night with Grandpa, Nana, Uncle Trey and Aunt Tiff.



I'd say Carly's very first Easter was a memorable one...and she was tuckered out from all the excitement!

Day 10:

Back to Florida we went...Carly enjoyed her second airplane ride. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment