Monday, April 30, 2012

"That's the Way it Goes...Ya Gotta Bend When the Wind Blows"

 The things parents do to protect their kids!  We had our first experience with that statement the past two days (what you normal people would call the weekend).  Saturday when Brian got home from work it was very hot in the house and he went to check on the air conditioner.  I had noticed it getting warm during the day, but truth be told I had just finished working out, so I thought it was just me.  Nevertheless, guess whose air conditioning wasn't working.  That's right, ours! Of course it stopped on a day that was 90 degrees!  Brian began calling around to see if we could get someone out here that evening to fix it.  But, we had no such luck on a weekend.  The earliest someone could get here was an estimated 1or 2am.  I have read extensively about how to protect your baby from this and that and one of the top correlatives with SIDS is when a baby gets too hot while sleeping.  With a house that was pushing 90 degrees inside, we weren't about to take that risk.  I called my parents in a panic and asked what they would do.  I am thankful for their honest opinion and they suggested with a two month old that we shouldn't stay in the house.  They said that the chances were high she would be just fine, but there is no point in putting her at risk.  Plus, they said I was just going to be sitting next to her crib all night and that was unproductive. They offered to get us a hotel but then our friends Kelly & Mitch bailed us out and told us we could crash at her place!  So at 11:30pm we drove over there to sleep (they were out and about and didn't get home until then).  Sunday morning we called again to get someone to come out and again, the attempt was unsuccessful.  So I called my parents up and asked to take them up on their offer!  Thanks, guys!  We stayed at the LOVELY Comfort Inn down the road from us in a Suite with a big king bed and a divider so Carly could have her own space as well.  We made a little "getaway" out of it and actually had a great time.  Carly was literally shocked when she woke up this morning (it was pretty funny, really...she had those BIG eyes on to check everything out then began to cry once she realized she was in a strange place).  Brian went off to work at Carly and I met the technician at our house at 11am this morning.  Our air is up and running after a $230 dollar relay box replacement.  The joys of owning...lol.

Yesterday turned out to be quite fun as we had our first family hotel stay and having spent the day in EPCOT, it felt like we were on vacation anyway.  My friend, Jen, was in town from NYC, so a bunch of us played in the parks all day.  Kelly's sister (Kelly...the one who we stayed with) and her kiddos joined us from Tampa, so Carly even had another baby friend to "play" with.  We ate at one of our favorite Disney restaurants,The Biergarten.  Carly was nursing when the polka-guys came out on stage and she unlatched and started squirming because she wanted to know what was going on and why here daddy was yelling, "Hoy, hoy, hoy!"  She put on those BIG eyes again as she checked out all the dancing, then told me she was ready to finish her dinner.  I love that I can tell what she is saying.  Her cries don't bother me as much because I know what they mean and how to give her what she wants.  The only time its really hard is when there are multiple things going on at once, but I have to solve them one at a time.  Yesterday, for example, Carly took ONE twenty minute nap in a SEVEN hour period.  Seriously, she is a social bug!  At two months old she was fighting taking a nap in order to see everything going on around her.  When I tried to turn her around in the Bjorn to put her to sleep she was SO mad.  So I explained to her that if I was going to let her stay up that she would need to be good and not have a meltdown.  I turned her back around to face out and she stayed happy for another 2 hours.  Crazy girl.  Sadly, the meltdown came as we were finishing up dinner.  I knew it would happen.  Mom is always right. ;)

Here is our best attempt at a family pic (The Flower and Garden Festival is going on at EPCOT right now):



Besides for our crazy weekend, I am thrilled to report that Carly has now been in her own bedroom for one whole week (minus the large hiccup we had the past two days)!  We were very nervous putting her in there, as the first attempt was unsuccessful.  She figured out that she was lonely and would call for us in the middle of the night.  So, we decided to give it another go last week and thought it might be an easier transition to roll her bassinet into her room rather than putting her straight into her crib.  I also decided to start topping her off with milk so that her belly is extra full!  I nurse her and then give her an extra 2 ounces.  Fortunately, When she does sleep through the night (8 hours or so) I am full to the brim in the mornings and am able to pump what I'll need for her at night when I'm running on "E" plus some to go in the freezer.  God has been faithful to provide me with the milk I need for her after a fairly rough start.  I pray everyday that He will continue to bless me with ample amounts as I go back to work this week.

Hope you enjoyed reading about our stressful few days (3 beds in 3 nights...sheesh) and about our crazy little girl who has a mind of her own.  We love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment