Thursday, August 16, 2012

"Food, Glorious Food!"

In honor of Carly's half birthday coming up this week, while Brian & I were both home, we decided to start miss Carly on "solid" food.  We actually went back and forth on it...debating if we should wait another month, but then I did some reading on it and found that a baby's iron levels drop significantly at 6 months, which is one of the many reasons its best if they are not getting their only nutrition from milk anymore.  Plus, Carly has become very interested in watching us eat, and generally grabs at whatever we are placing in our mouths.  So we decided it was just fair to get her started. 

After more reading, I also found out that research doesn't support starting your baby on a whole grain cereal anymore.  There is no evidence that it more beneficial than starting with a fruit or a vegetable.  I also watched a documentary on baby food and there was an interview with a nutritionist who said she believes that you should start your baby on avocado, green beans, apples & sweet potatoes, in that order.  I also read an article on WebMD that said the best baby foods to begin with are, banana, avocado, oatmeal, sweet potato, apple, peas and pears.  So we decided to be a bit unconvential and Carly's first food (minus that melon she sucked on a few weeks ago) was an avocado!  Here is the play-by-play:

Food prepared...

Carly ready with her bib...

First bite!

What is that??

I'll have some more, thank you...

This is funny...

Mom stop, I need to mix it with my saliva first!

I'll take the spoon now, thank you.

No, really...you are done getting to hold it, Mom.

Thank you!

See, everyone is much happier now.

In the hair, behind the ears, on the clothes...

I win!

That was fun...let's do it again soon!
I think for the first go at feeding her it couldn't have gone better.  I bet she ended up swallowing half a teaspoon...which is plenty for her first exposure.  We will feed her avocado for a few more days then probably move onto peas, banana, sweet potato and then probably oatmeal.  But we will see!  Here's a few videos you can watch, as well. 


She really was a delight to feed and the experience was so fun!  Definitely the highlight of my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment